Job Opportunity: Banff Heritage Tourism Introductory Summer Hiking Program
Banff Heritage Tourism (BHT) will offer a series of introductory guided interpretive hikes during the summer of 2014 to enhance the visitor experience to Banff National Park. BHT will hire a certified interpretive guide to run this program.
The goal of this program is to help introduce visitors to hiking in Banff National Park through an immersive and educational experience. This will be accomplished by offering guided hikes up Tunnel and Sulphur Mountains.
The hiking program will be offered over 12 weeks from June 20 to September 11, three days per week, for a total of 36 hikes (days of week to be determined in consultation with the successful applicant). Participants will be required to pay a fee per hike (amount, collection and registration process to be determined by BHT). There will be a maximum of 12 participants per hike plus the guide.
The guide will be expected to deliver interpretation that includes information including, but not limited to, history, hiking basics, local ecology and wildlife. A brief outline of this content must be provided by the guide and approved by BHT in advance of the first hike.
Statement of Work:
- Facilitate two round-trip guided hikes per week on Tunnel Mountain (day of week to be determined in consultation with BHT). Hikes will begin from Banff Avenue Square. Approximate hike duration is 2 hours.
- Facilitate one one-way guided hike per week on Sulphur Mountain (day of week to be determined in consultation with BHT). Hikes will begin from the lower base of the Banff Gondola and terminate at the upper Banff Gondola terminal. Approximate hike duration is 3 hours.
- Deliver approved interpretive content for the above hikes.
- Ensure all participants sign a waiver (provided by BHT) before commencing hike
- Record number of participants per hike and general feedback and provide complete data to BHT upon completion of program
- Provide monthly invoices to BHT upon completion of work
Role of BHT:
- BHT will work with the Contractor to select days of the week for hikes and approve interpretive content.
- BHT will provide the interpreter with a uniform.
- Completion of the "Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG) Hiking Certification and Interpretive Guides Association (IGA) Basic certification and membership in the ACMG" OR "Completion of IGA Professional Interpreter certification and membership in the IGA"
- Completion of the IGA 2-day Group Management course
- Completion of Standard First Aid course including CPR
- Must provide proof of insurance and list BHT as an additional insured
- Friendly, patient, outgoing and passionate about the outdoors
- Demonstrate a superior knowledge of local ecology, history, hiking basics, and interpretation techniques
- Physically fit to conduct the hikes
- BHT reserves the right to adjust or terminate the program through the summer. In such a case, BHT will provide the Contractor with a minimum of 2 weeks’ notice.
Basis of Selection:
To be considered, submission of a proposal must include a letter of interest outlining the following:
- Demonstrate fulfillment of the qualifications above
- Ability to meet statement of work
- Quote for services
Submissions will be evaluated based on relevant experience, quality of the application, cost effectiveness, and overall impression. Interviews will be held with selected applicants. Submissions must be received by April 14, 2014 at 5:00pm MST.
Basis of Payment:
BHT will pay the Contractor monthly for these services.
BHT will award the Contract no later than April 25, 2014.
Submissions are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org attention John Bowden, Banff Heritage Tourism.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity. All applicants will receive a response in a timely fashion.