Banff Heritage Tourism is seeking two motivated and skilled university or college students that will be returning to school this fall in the role of "Heritage Ambassadors" in downtown Banff and Lake Louise this summer.
The position runs for 12 weeks, from June 5 - August 25, five days a week. Pay is $16/hour. BHT will provide training in advance of the beginning of the program.
Heritage Ambassadors will organize and run an outdoor visitor experience program called the "Cave & Basin Discovery Tent" through the summer in downtown Banff in partnership with Parks Canada, and a series of guided historical walking tours in Lake Louise.
Key tasks include:
- Facilitation (including setup and take down) of an interactive program that will allow participants to learn about the Cave & Basin National Historic Site and the creation of Banff National Park and the entire National Parks system four days per week
- Assisting participants with trying on costumes and props, posing for photos in front of a backdrop, maintaining a campfire, and various other parts of the program. Please note that you must be willing to wear a period outfit (supplied) as part of the job duties
- Educating visitors of relevant activities and sites within the Park
- Running a series of outdoor historical walking tours in Lake Louise one day per week
- Heritage Ambassadors will be required to monitor the programs by keeping attendance figures, completing evaluations and providing feedback to improve the program.
- Experience in performing arts and public speaking
- Outgoing and interactive, comfortable in front of an audience
- Passion for the outdoors, history and heritage
- Second language is an asset but not a prerequisite
- Enjoy working outdoors through the summer
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be able to work well with a team-mate and under minimal supervision during the actual program.
- Must be between 15-30 years of age
- Must have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (foreign students are not eligible)
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada, according to relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Submit your resume and cover letter by Friday, March 15th, 2013 to:
John Bowden, Program Director, Banff Heritage Tourism