REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS:
Banff Heritage Tourism Introductory Summer Hiking Program
Banff Heritage Tourism (BHT) will offer a series of introductory guided interpretive hikes during the summer of 2015 to enhance the visitor experience in Banff National Park. BHT plans to hire a certified interpretive guide to implement this program.
The goal of this program is to offer an opportunity to introduce visitors to hiking in Banff National Park through an immersive and educational experience. This will be accomplished by offering guided hikes on the Tunnel Mountain Summit trail.
The hiking program will be offered from June 28 to August 30, two days per week, for a total of 20 hikes (the specific days of week will be determined in consultation with the successful applicant). Participants will be charged a fee for this hiking experience (fee amount, collection and registration process will be determined by BHT). There will be a maximum of 12 participants per hike plus the certified guide. BHT may provide a volunteer assistant for each hike to aide and learn from the hired guide.
The certified guide will be expected to deliver accurate interpretation which focuses on the following topics: history, hiking basics, local ecology and wildlife. An outline of the proposed content must be provided to, and approved by,BHT three weeks prior to the first scheduled hike.
Statement of Work:
- Facilitate two round-trip guided hikes per week on Tunnel Mountain Summit Trail (days of the week to be determined in consultation with BHT). The hike will begin from Banff Avenue Square; approximate duration is 2 hours.
- Deliver approved interpretive content in an engaging way
- Ensure all participants sign a waiver before commencing hike
- Collect fees from participants that have not previously registered, and cross-reference those who have registered with online database
- For each hike, record number and origin of participants; general feedback; weather conditions, and provide complete data to BHT at the end of the season.
- Provide monthly invoices to BHT upon completion of work
- Carry a backpack containing general first aid supplies, interpretive tools and guide books.
- The certified guide will be required to work in various weather conditions and hike on uneven terrain.
- The certified guided will be required to wear a uniform (as provided by BHT)
Role of BHT:
- BHT will work with the Contractor to determine which days of the week the hikes will be offered and approve interpretive content.
- BHT will provide the interpreter with a uniform.
- Completion of the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG) Hiking Certification and current member of the ACMG, or, IGA Professional Interpreter certification and current member of the IGA
- Completion of the IGA 2-day Group Management course (or equivalent)
- Completion of Standard First Aid course including CPR
- Must provide proof of insurance with $2 million liability coverage and list BHT as an additional insured
- Friendly, patient, outgoing and passionate about the outdoors
- Demonstrate a superior knowledge of local ecology, history, hiking basics, and interpretation techniques
- Physically fit to conduct the hikes
- Previous experience (within the past 3 years) delivering guided hikes in the Canadian Rockies
- BHT reserves the right to adjust or terminate the program at any time. . In such a case, BHT will provide the Contractor with a minimum of 2 weeks’ notice.
Basis of Selection:
To be considered, submission of a proposal must include a letter of interest outlining the following:
- Demonstrate fulfillment of the qualifications outlined above
- Ability to meet statement of work as outlined
- Quote for services
Submissions will be evaluated based on relevant experience, quality of the application, cost effectiveness, and overall impression. Interviews will be held with selected applicants. Submissions must be received by May 4, 2015 before 5:00pm MST.
Basis of Payment:
BHT will pay the Contractor monthly for services rendered.
BHT will award the contract by May 15, 2015.
Submissions are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org attention John Bowden, Banff Heritage Tourism.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity. All applicants will receive a response in a timely fashion.