TAKE OUR MESSAGE TO THE MOUNTAINTOP
INSPIRE THE WORLD TO EXPERIENCE BANFF AND LAKE LOUISE
Let your passion, creativity, and love of the mountain lifestyle come alive with Banff & Lake Louise Tourism. We’re welcoming the world to our doorstep and we need you to help spread the word!
Reporting to the Senior Manager Communications, this role is responsible for the development and management of media activities that align with Banff & Lake Louise Tourism’s growth strategy and business plan.
The Media Relations Manager is the main contact for media inquiries, media relations, brand stewardship and managing the efforts in building and influencing the perception of the destination.
This position works closely with industry partners and BLLT members to create a seamless in-resort media experience. It is also responsible for the logistics and organization of media and social media influencer visits that contribute to shaping of the experiences that support the messages and stories we are promoting.
The Media Relations Manager will measure the impact of BLLT’s media and PR efforts, monitor trends and news about the destination, calculate the media quality score, maintain a media fact base and create reports on a weekly basis. Additionally, this position will support the administration of the media budget and other coordination duties.
Media Relations and Brand Stewardship
- Reputation management, manage efforts in building and influencing perception of the destination and responding appropriately to positive as well as negative press, reviews and perception
- Support the Senior Manager in managing corporate media relations, including writing key messages and media releases
- Follow current events, always looking for a story opportunity
- Steward of the corporate brand, upholding the credibility and accountability of the organization
Media FAMS and Visits
- Plan and deliver media activity including developing itineraries that show off our destination and developing stories within our niche markets that represent our destination offerings
- Organize and confirm media visit logistics including accommodation, activities, transportation and meals, permit requirements and budget monitoring, product research, member product support
- Work in collaboration and support media visits initiated by Destination Canada, Travel Alberta and BLLT members
- Ensure the brand is properly represented and adhering to guidelines when being used by media
- Ensure the efficient distribution of media tools including: B-roll, press kits, swag and VIP passes. Ensure that policies are adhered to for use of these tools and product quality is consistent with the BLLT brand
- Works with the Senior Manager, Communications to implement media engagement activities and processes
- Assists with press releases and communication pieces
- Supports story development and idea generation for media
- Research and compile targeted media lists, developing and distributing key media messages, reports, media advisories, news releases, backgrounders, and other relevant content for media outlets with specific appeal to their viewership
- Manage and monitor media activities, both proactive and reactive
- Work with digital, print, and broadcast media to fact-check, provide assets, and coordinate BLLT director/CEO interviews as needed
- Use Simpleview (CRM) on a daily basis to track and report media visits with the organization and Consumer Marketing team
- Media monitoring – measure and report on impact and quality of coverage
- Utilize media tracking programs and Travel Alberta Media Services coverage reports to update quality score tracker daily
- Monitor updates to market specific media databases through Simpleview
- Maintain accurate reporting records of media visits and information requests in Simpleview
- Assist in sharing of media coverage with appropriate audiences
- Monitor media visit program expenditures through invoice tracking forms and purchases orders to ensure that they are within approved budget parameters
- Work with the Senior Manager, Communications to develop and maintain a strategic editorial plan that corresponds with the consumer marketing content calendar
- Foster positive relationships with members and partners
- Work directly with media and social media influencers
- Work with content, marketing, social media and business development managers to help ensure consistency of messaging across owned, earned and paid channels.
- Promote the purpose and values of the organization both internally and externally, as well as actively demonstrating the values
- Act always in the best interests of BLLT, in an ethical and honest manner, and in full compliance with the policies of BLLT
- Complete special projects as assigned
- A degree/diploma in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or related field with a minimum five years of experience
- Understanding of media relations, news cycle, lifestyle content, social media and how to interact with social media influencers
- Strong interpersonal and community relations skills
- Superior writing and message development skills for various media and multiple stakeholders (internal and external)
- Proven ability to develop, articulate and gain support for organizational priorities and strategies
- Candidate must have a proven track record of working under pressure in complex situations
- Technically proficient and comfortable with using or learning a variety of computer applications
- Must exercise good judgement, be a team player, solution oriented, self-motivated and have a positive attitude
- Membership in IABC and CPRS considered an asset
- Knowledge of the tourism industry considered an asset
- Bilingualism considered an asset
To apply, please send your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 27, 2018. While we appreciate all applications, please be aware that only qualified candidates and those who are eligible to work in Canada will be contacted.