Local Indigenous Sculptor/Painter, Jason Carter is responsible for designing the animal sculptures that make this live Christmas story come to life. His incredible illuminated creations inspired by the animals of Banff National Park produce an immersive experience that feels authentic and magical.
As the art director for the project, Bridget Ryan has played an instrumental role in bringing this experience to life. Bridget collaboratively wrote the story behind In Search of Christmas Spirit, managed the production of the Jason Carter designed animals, and worked with the Old Trout Puppet Workshop Society to design and build the illuminated puppets that are also part of the experience. She also worked with local and regional talent to design and produce the custom soundscape specially designed to incorporate all senses into the experience.
Jason Carter - Artist
Jason Carter is one of Canada’s most exciting and accomplished contemporary Aboriginal visual artists; celebrated for both his paintings and his carvings.
His work has been acquired into dozens of private collections and he has had several exciting public shows, including the Royal Alberta Museum, Art Gallery of Alberta, The Art Gallery of Calgary and The Indian and Northern Affairs Public Art Display in Ottawa, Ontario. You can even find Jason’s work in The Moose Hotel in Banff, where he hand painted 174, 6ft Moose, and created three giclée prints for each room.
Visit The Carter-Ryan Gallery in Banff or Canmore to see Jason’s work or view his creations online.
Bridget Ryan – Creative Director
Bridget Ryan is an actor, singer, playwright, director, and producer. Bridget has performed at theatres all over Canada and was also part of several national tours before getting off the stage to work alongside a number of notable producers. In 2017, she adapted and directed a five-person version of Christmas Carol which plays every year at Fairmont Banff Springs Theatre.
Bridget has written four children’s books to date: WHO IS BOO: 1, 2 & 3 all illustrated by Jason Carter as well as Urban Animals.
In 2012, Bridget and Jason opened up The Carter-Ryan Gallery and Live Art Venue in Canmore Alberta on Main Street, a place where art and live performance exist happily under the same roof. In 2017 a second location was opened in Banff.
- Lektrik Design for their creativity, lighting expertise and skills in helping us design and implement the lighting components of the experience.
- LeDav Productions for their audio and sound expertise and support in sourcing and managing the local installation crew that helped rig all of the lighting and sound aspects of the experience.
- Old Trout Puppet Workshop Society who designed and built the two large illuminated puppets that are part of the experience.
- Parks Canada for providing BLLT permission to use of Cascades of Time Gardens for the delivery of the In Search of Christmas Spirit experience.
- All of the individuals who participated in BLLT community input sessions and contributed thoughts and ideas towards our plans for creating unique Christmas experiences in Banff.