As cases of COVID-19 in Alberta continue to climb, Premier Kenney and Dr. Hinshaw, Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health, announced on December 8 further temporary measures to protect Albertans.
The new measures, which take effect on Sunday, December 13 at 12:01 a.m., include several restrictions that will impact tourism related businesses. These apply provincewide and are in place until at least January 12, 2021:
- Restaurants, pubs, bars, lounges and cafes will be closed to dine-in service. Takeout, curbside pickup and delivery services will be permitted.
- Retail services can remain open but at reduced capacity to 15 per cent of fire code occupancy.
- Recreational facilities, including fitness centres, recreation centres, pools, spas, gyms, studios, indoor rinks and arenas will be closed.
- Outdoor recreation is permitted, but facilities with indoor spaces (except for washrooms) will be closed. Outdoor rinks and ski hills may remain open.
- Hotels may remain open but no spas, pools or in-person dining are permitted. Room service may continue.
- Bowling alleys, legions, and private clubs will be closed.
- Libraries, interpretive centres, museums and galleries will be closed.
- Personal and wellness services, including hair salons, nail salons, massage, tattoos, and piercing, will be closed.
- Places of worship will be limited to 15 per cent of fire code occupancy.
- All other previously announced health measures remain in place.
Effective December 8, the government has introduced a mandatory provincewide mask requirement and is prohibiting all indoor and outdoor gatherings. Further details on the new measures and guidelines can be found at Alberta.ca.
As a community, we’ve gone to great lengths and made many adjustments over the last number of months with safety as a priority. Together we can continue to protect each other and reduce the spread of the virus.
Thank you again for all you are doing to keep visitors safe as we work together to sustain our industry through this crisis and position Alberta for a smart rebound and the future growth of our destinations and communities.