Recreational vehicles are common and welcome in Banff National Park. And there are plenty of ways to explore the park easily when you’re camping here.
Essential Tips for RV users
- Use transit and shuttles to explore the park, so you can spend more time sightseeing and less time driving.
- Park your RV at your campsite or at designated RV lots, as marked.
- If driving through the Banff or Lake Louise townsites, head out before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m.
- Walk or bike the trails in Banff and Lake Louise, bicycles are available to rent at local shops.
- Read on, or download a PDF RV guide for exploring the park outside of your RV.
Exploring Banff in Summer?
Leave your RV at Tunnel Mountain or Two Jack campground and start your adventure by hopping on transit to downtown Banff. It’s free throughout the summer.
- Head to the Banff Train Station for the shuttle to Lake Louise.
- Visiting for the day? Park and Roam. An unlimited day pass is just $5. Park in designated, long-term RV parking areas and hop on a Roam Transit bus.
- Find RV parking within a 15-minute walk from downtown.
- Find current parking availability within the Town of Banff at banffparking.ca.
- Check current traffic conditions at dashboard.banff.ca
- Visit pc.gc.ca/Banffnow to receive real-time information on visitor services and attractions outside of the town including parking, major traffic events, and more.
Exploring Lake Louise in the Summer?
- Take a scenic 15- to 20-minute walk (1.5 km) from Lake Louise Campground to Samson
- The mall in the village has access to shuttles.
- Ride shuttles from Samson Mall to popular attractions, including Upper Lake Louise, the Lake Louise Sightseeing Gondola, and Banff.
- Roadside parking in Lake Louise is limited. Find RV parking in two locations: behind the Husky gas station in the village of Lake Louise, and the Lake Louise overflow parking lot (located on Highway 1, 5.5 km east of the exit to Lake Louise).
- Park at the overflow parking lot and take a Parks Canada shuttle to the village of Lake Louise and Upper Lake Louise (May 19 - September 10), and Moraine Lake (September 11 - October 9). Please note shuttle times may vary.
- If you are staying at the Lake Louise Campground, leave your RV parked and use the free shuttles to get around.
- Reservations at Lake Louise Campground are highly recommended. Call 1-877-RESERVE to book your campsite.
- Still have questions? Stop by a Visitor Centre and ask one of the friendly staff!