What is this initiative?
The Banff Borrow Reusable Cup Initiative is a new program that will help reduce waste in Banff National Park. This is an opportunity for Banff businesses who serve to-go beverages in disposable cups to offer visitors and residents the option of a reusable cup if they do not have their own.
How can your business get involved?
If you are a Banff business that would like to participate in this initiative, please complete the form on the operators page here. It is set to scale through the beginning of this year, and as an incentive to participate, the Town of Banff will pay for all Banff business subscription fees until the end of the pilot phase in December 2024.
How does it work?
- Once your business has been accepted onto the program, the operator, Muuse, will deliver your required inventory and signage, as well as provide training and develop your profile page to push the program through social media.
- When a visitor or resident requests a cup, show them the QR code. They can scan the QR code to borrow, without having to download an app.
- The customer shows the confirmation page to your staff member, who will serve them their beverage in the scanned cup.
- The cups are to be returned within 30 days to any participating location.
- Upon return, customers can scan the QR code on the cup, or the unique Return QR located at each business.
- To ensure a safe experience, businesses must wash the cups in a high heat commercial dishwasher.
- The cup can be served again!
In the pursuit of significant waste reduction and the advancement of destination sustainability this initiative is supported by the Biosphere Institute of the Bow Valley, Town of Banff, Banff & Lake Louise Hospitality Association, Banff & Lake Louise Tourism and Muuse.